Sunday, October 6, 2013

Well redcat racing Tsunami 1/8 Scale Brushless 2WD Sand Buggy A competitor for the VATERRA Glamis Uno ?


Well Redcat Racing perked my interest today because of a post showing a few pics from the  Ihobby show in Chicago .  It contained 2 Vehicles I hadn't seen before A Monster truck that seems a bit bigger than the Earthquake trucks and a buggy so I started checking out their Website to if any info had been posted . Sadly no info on the MT but I did find the buggy . 

Tsunami 1/8 Scale Brushless 2WD Sand Buggy

Seems they have decided to make a buggy to compete with the Vaterra Glamis Uno and from several feet away and at first glance this buggy may appear to be a clone but in reality this buggy is pretty different once you really look at it .





 Specifications

Motor Type
Electric Brushless KV 2750
Transmission
Forward and Reverse
Drive System
2 Wheel Drive
Length
490mm
Width
310mm
Height
155mm
Dry Weight
5.5 LBS
Wheelbase
345mm
Ground Clearance
38mm
Shocks
Aluminum Body Oil Filled Pro Style
Speed Control
Brushless ESC
Battery
11.1v 30C 3000mAH LIPO
Radio System
2.4GHz Radio System




Since there are no body off shots and since the specs given are the bare minimum everythings up for debate till someone buys one and starts running it but given that this buggy's is running on 3s it most assuredly is faster than the Glamis as it comes with a 2S lipo but what happens when the Glamis has a 3S installed. Well this is pure speculation but I have the feeling the Glamis will still be out gunned as it is powered by a 4 pole 540 size 3300 kv motor and after seeing the extremely long canned motor in the Mirage I have my doubts that that the Glamis is packing something smaller than a 550 size motor . I will also speculate that like the Mirage this originally meant to accept a 4S battery as a upgrade to the system but given the problems associated with the 4s ESC this has also been downgraded to only a 3S compatible ESC. 

Update OCT.08.13
Got a response back confirming a few things I speculated about a few days before . So I copied and pasted it here for you.

Hello ,

-Yes the battery does load from the bottom of the chassis, similar to our Mirage and Twister vehicles.
-The ESC is a 60a splash resistant HobbyWing ESC that is also used in the Mirage, unfortunately the max voltage for the ESC is rated at 11.1v.
-On the motor, I will have to get back to you on that one, unfortunately I don't have the exact dimensions, and we don't have the motors in stock quite yet. I did buy one that I have been beating around, so I will see if I can pull mine apart and get you the dimensions on it.

Let me know what other questions you have, and I would be more than happy to help you out.


OCT.09.13
Parts have been listed on the site but not in stock yet http://www.redcatracing.com/Search#cv=TSUNAMI%20PRO This brings 2 things to light the motor is suppost to be a 540 size motor , it shares a few suspention parts with the Mirage, it has beadlock wheels, the gyro is a add on and not part of the transmitter, the transmission gears are plastic but if the description is right on the pinion they are at least mod 1 pitch, and the battery compartment looks large enough for a 4S power 2 me.

2 comments:

  1. Is there anything more recent than 2013 comments on this buggy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Redcat Racing discontinued this model so interest has waned.

      Delete